These days sheep are raised for various reasons with a lot of people keeping sheep as pets. A lot of people who keep sheep as pets are those who have retired and need farm pets to spend time with.
When it comes to raising sheep for milk or wool a whole lot can be said since its been done centuries ago. The sheep’s dairy can be processed into different kinds of products such as cheese, candy and yogurt just to mansion a few.
When starting out in sheep farming it’s important to position yourself to what you want to produce with your livestock.
There are a number of various reasons why folks want to keep sheep. Sheep can help in improving agricultural landscapes, control vegetation and preserve open land.
Some folks also raise sheep as pets where else others want their children to learn about animal husbandry. On the other hand a number of people raise sheep for profits.
How New Livestock Farmers Can Raise Healthy Sheep As Pets
A lot of folks never dream of rearing sheep as pets, they only think of keeping sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those folks who want to keep sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with guidelines how to be a happy sheep owner.
When talking about good natured animals there is no other animal like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. They will be entertaining to manage and can teach the kids how to be responsible.
Below are some tips in how to raise this livestock:
– The first thing to note when beginning to raise sheep is your budget. You have to invest a lot of money in buying fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your sheep.
– You need to have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you rely upon pasture then having some large land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you may feed your livestock some hay or any other feeds that is ideal for sheep.
– Choosing what type of breed you want to manage is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as domestic pets but some other breed can do as long as you manage them.
– You should make sure you get more than one sheep because sheep are interpersonal animals and like living with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your livestock to breed you may get your males neutered.
– Your livestock must be kept safe. This can be done by building a livestock house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and foxes that may harm your sheep.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You should also bring a veterinarian every once in a while to evaluate your livestock and make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy livestock owner requires you to look after your sheep. Give them good shelter, give them food and water every day.